Afternoon Delight
Went for a run at lunch. Lately I've been trying to get out and run outside instead of just pounding away on the treadmill.
Since I swam this morning, I decided to keep it easy and just went for two miles. The first mile, I didn't worry about the HRM and the time was 10:30. For the second half, I devoutly followed the HRM and tried to keep my heart rate in the 60-70% range, even though it meant (gasp!) walking for a few minutes.
I've done a bunch of research on the heart rate monitor training, but I'm just not sure. Based on my age, my 'moderate' range is from 136-154 bpm. I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as I'm running, no matter how slow, my heart starts kicking into the high 150s. So to keep in range and actually call it running, I end up shuffling along at a pitiable 3.5mph, even though I don't really feel like I'm working. When I get into an RPE of 6-7, though, my heart rate is more like 165-170, which, according to the HRM is badbadbad. I need to do a maximum heart rate test, but lately, the idea of running until I want to drop just doesn't sound that good to me.
Tomorrow is an indoor ride on the spinning bike at the gym. Hopefully it's one of the last for me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home