Thursday, March 30, 2006

Equipment Maintenance

Update: I went running at lunchtime and I feel a mazillion times better. Thank you, body, for being such a fabulous machine and working for me even when I don't take good care of you.

I love working out.

-----------------------------

(from 6:30 am)

I rinse my swimsuit after every visit to the pool. I refuse to wear my running shoes for any other purpose. And once I get a bike, I plan to take great care tuning and maintaining it.

Why, then, am I so willing to abuse my body? It's arguably the most important, precious and expensive piece of equipment I possess, yet I treat it like a $40 bike from Wal-Mart.

I'm not working out this morning. I have a kicking headache and my tummy is more than a little upset. All because I put having a good time over getting the proper nutrition and rest to wake up feeling strong this morning.

Take a look at my nutrition log from yesterday. Try not to shed a tear for me. It's bad. Really bad. And completely unnecessary.

Advertising and athletic training don't mix very well. I worked a little bit late last night ('til about 7:30), then headed over to the bar, where a couple of media reps were hosting an open bar. While I was there, they invited me to go to dinner with them and a couple of my coworkers at one of the best restaurants in Durham. I just don't have the self control to pass that up. Or anything that went around the table, for that matter.

Dinner was awesome; my meal was delicious and I had a great time with everyone. But I overindulged and I'm paying for it this morning. The difference between how I feel this morning and how I felt yesterday, when I was waking from clean eating all day before, is astounding. I was tired yesterday, but today I feel tired and kind of sick and sluggish and just bleh.

I need to remember that my body is the most important training tool I have. And I need to take better care of it. Even if that means passing up free cookies and free beer and free dinners at nice restaurants. Or at least passing up half of that stuff instead of gobbling down whatever I can get my hands on.

The good news? I definitely have no desire for beer or cookies today. We're going out tonight to see a band, so that will be a test of my training resolve. Somehow, though, I think it will be easier to resist that second PBR than it was to pass up a second glass of the really, really good wine we drank last night!

Workout
Running: 3 miles (duration unknown because somebody forgot to check the time when she left)

Nutrition
6:30a: 1c tea w/ Splenda
8:30a: 1c oatmeal; 1 apple
1:30p: Salad w/ mushrooms, tomato, strawberries, peppers; 2T ginger dressing; .5oz almonds
3:00p: Clementine
3:30p: Large iced latte w/ Splenda; Luna bar
5:00p: Apple w/ 1T peanut butter
7:00p: Salad w/ tomato, peppers mushroom; 2T vinaigrette; 1c veggie chili; 2 fajita-size flour tortillas
8:45p: Diet Coke; Tofutti Cutie (energy for staying up late for the show!)

Hydration
80oz

4 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

I am always struggling with the same thing. I have vendors come by the office three or four times a week to take us to lunch. And like you said, it is always to nice places and always free. I know I shouldn't go, but it is always hard to turn that offer down. Maybe instead of changing my bike chain every thousand miles I should work on my attitude instead. Good luck and stay after it.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Open Bar!!! Free Food!!! What wonderful words. It ranks right up there with "I love you" and "Lets go to Vegas" as causes of a cascade of happyness.

If we treated plants like we treat our body, the world would be a desert.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

I think you just have to refrain from the open bar if you're planning on doing some training the next day. Business meetings and lunches are important, so I always try to have a spot-less diet so I can indulge when the opportunity arises... I just wish it came up as often as it seems it does for you and Jamie!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

Eyeyeyeyeye! You must have a bad headache today. Bet you had fun last night though! I was bad last night too. Drank beer and ate pizza with Jessica but laughed a lot. We all need to have fun once in awhile. Don't beat yourself up over it.

You know, you'd probably feel better if you did work out today. Sweat some of the stuff out of your system.

It's beautiful outside today. I have a long bike ride this afternoon. Planning on eating salmon, brown rice and zuchinni tonight.(to make up for the crap last night) Got an early swim tomorrow morning. Hope you feel better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home