Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Yay for training

Funny how floating around on a cloud of love makes one completely forget about training.

I've been a little bit lazy the last week or two, not really forcing myself to stick to any training schedule, but doing what I feel like, when I feel like it. Generally, it works out pretty well and I end up doing swimming, biking, running twice a week each, which is where I want to be.

But the last week, it's resulted in me sitting on my butt a lot. Last weeks' training consisted of two runs, one swim and one bike.

And I'm ashamed to admit that Sunday and yesterday, I did absolutely nothing. It was HOT!

The good news, though, is that I rode on Saturday and I'm getting a lot faster. Not fast, fast, mind you, but faster than before. When I first got my bike, I was averaging just over 13 mph. On Saturday, without even really pushing it and riding by myself, I averaged just over 15 mph. I'll take it!

And this morning, I did my first timed distance swim. I wasn't trying to go fast, just trying to finish. I swam 750 meters in 17:20, which comes out to 2:18/100m. Not great, but not bad for a distance. Still better than what I was swimming 100 meters at a time a month ago.

Randy and I are headed up to the mountains this weekend for a belated four-year anniversary weekend. (Our anniversary was last Thursday, but we couldn't get away last weekend because I had to work and he was riding bikes for 24 hours straight.) We'll have some chances to bike, which means the rest of my week will look something like this:

Wednesday: Run
Thursday: Swim
Friday: Bike
Saturday: Run (or more likely hike since we'll be right on the Appalachian trail) Sunday: Bike

At some point, I need to get out for an open water swim. I keep making excuses for why it isn't convenient or why I can't go, but the truth is that I'm just scared! I've gotten so comfortable in the pool that I don't want to face something new and scary. But better I do it now than on race day.

Yay for training. And thanks to Jessi for giving me the nudge I needed to get this posted.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay, THERE you are!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

That's a solid swim time for 750 meters. Pull that out in a race and you will be set up nicely for the rest of the race.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Mojo said...

Have a great time in the mountains. We should set a date for an open water swim at Jordon Lake some time in June. Meg and Jessica would probably come too.

It's great to see improvement on the bike and swim. You are gonna do great at your race!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home